Saturday, September 5, 2015

Micro-Memory: Moderntone Dishes

My mother, who is from the other side of my family and unrelated to all the people I've discussed
here so far, visited me yesterday as she had various errands to run in town. She lives way out - having retired to an idyllic rural setting about 70 minutes from here about 20 years ago.

She had called me the night before she left to see if I was interested in some things she was going to be clearing out. Included in those things were some beloved small specialty dishes, like a relish tray, that my grandmother had always used on special occasions. I was interested.

Then, she mentioned she had her grandmother's Moderntone dishes made by Hazel Atlas in the 1930s. I leaped all over that. My great grandmother had used those depression-era plates and bowls every day, though I have no memory of her using them. I do remember that my grandmother used them all the time. I adored them. It was all part of the "going to Grandma's" experience. She always saved the blue set for me.

This morning, I will be washing those up and putting them into my buffet, excited that I will be able to use them come Thanksgiving. I care naught for fancy china and silver, but will be using my grandparents silver-plated flatware and Modertone dishes for all of my special occasions.


No comments:

Post a Comment