Sunday, April 2, 2017

Have Genealogy Bag, Will Travel

Clarksville, Iowa
I was loading up  my genealogy kit yesterday before I left for my next adventure. Mini-scanner,
check. Camera, check. Extra batteries, check. Paper and pen, check. Computer, check. Cords, etc., etc., check. I rolled out of here like I was packing for a weekend away from home. I arrived in the small town of Clarksville before 10 am and was welcomed most graciously by my hostess, my third cousin through the Smull and Cooper side of the family. I'll not use their names to maintain their privacy.

One of my new cousins - Pioneer Girl
Shortly thereafter, a woman came out of the back of the house looking like a pioneer woman. Not knowing these folks, I didn't let them know I was taking in the garb wondering if perhaps they were some strict conservative religious sect or something. Turns out this was my third cousin once removed and she was on her way to do a volunteer stint at the library celebrating Laura Ingalls Wilder!

Then, the woman who got in touch with me via my blog, whom I'll call History Sister, arrived and we settled down to what ended up to be many hours of talking, comparing notes, and swapping photos. I had hoped to be home in time for a mid-day nap, but this was way better.

Around about one, I was informed that lunch was ready. I had no idea they were preparing lunch for me, so it was a nice treat and break. I cannot tell you how kind, generous, and thoughtful everyone I've met through this genealogy thing has been to me.

History Sister and I share a love of all kinds of history and the same curiosity that makes us find the answers. She is starting out as the family historian and going through boxes of treasures left by her grandparents including letters between them when her grandfather was serving in World War II, letters from my great-great aunts to member of her family, tons of wonderful photos from the turn of the 20th century and beyond. I laughed so much during my visit, and it was sorely needed!  I hope we get to keep in touch and share more time together in the future. And, I'll be sharing some of what I learned here, so stay tuned!

On the way home, I stopped by my Uncle Harold's house to wish him a belated 89th birthday and showed him some of the photos I picked up on my previous trip. His eyes got big and he pointed at a gent in one of the photos and said, "That's Grandpa!" He seemed pleased and that made me happy. Then he told me great stories for the next half hour before it was finally time to head home and end this chapter of my genealogy adventure.

My kind hostesses left and right. I'm looking pretty pleased.





No comments:

Post a Comment