Thursday, June 8, 2017

Family Secrets Revealed: Verlie Smith Michaelsen Linsey

"Last night, one of my new cousins said something to the effect that shining light on family secrets frees us all from the tyranny of the pain those secrets can bring. A lot of wisdom there!" Me, 2017

In late 1937, life changed for one family in a way that would greatly impact them for a lifetime. Verlie Smith's marriage to her husband Ted Michaelsen, fell apart and she left to save herself. Alone. Without her children, because how would she support and feed them in the middle of the depression, her without a job? What happened next can be learned about here.
Click to increase size


I am the grandchild of the purple set of children of Verlie Smith. I had contact with three of the children in orange of Verlie's first marriage throughout my life, but I never met nor did any of we "purples" get to meet our aunt Judy Lou, who was adopted outside of the family. She maintained some contact with her full siblings, but not a lot and as reported, did not speak often about her first family.

This past week, two of my cousins and I got to meet two of Judy Lou's three daughters. They had just recently discovered we existed and we they. They have a lot of blanks to fill in because in all of this, no one really ever talked about it. My dad reportedly did not even know he had another sister until he had to get his birth certificate to join the Army, which reflected an additional birth to his mother. 

After my Grandma Verlie died, I wrote to Judy Lou, extending a hand, but was not met with a response. I know that we all respected her desire to have nothing to do with the family, though we all regretted knowing there was someone out there we'd never get to know. We heard for the first time that our grandma asked for Judy Lou to come see her as she was dying and after much soul-searching, did. 

It had to be really hard for Judy's daughters to meet with us - a mixture of pleasure and pain and a sense of being overwhelmed by "What could have been," and "What if they are crazy and bad for us?"

I was grateful to have met them and look forward to them joining us at our third annual revival reunion (we restarted reunions a couple years back after a long period of not having any) this fall and meeting our third first cousin who lives out of state. We have a good little family, if a bit convoluted in connection in time and space. I admire all of my other cousins and it looks like I'll have three more to enjoy moving forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment