Sunday, January 15, 2017

Jesse Smull Family: Henry Bergey Smull

JESSE SMULL m Mary Keil Bergey > HENRY BERGEY SMULL

Click image to enlarge
You can read about Jesse Smull here.  Son Henry Bergey Smull was born in about 1844 and died in mid-1873 (prior to May 12th, when his will was proved) at the age of 29 after a long illness. The family had lived in Frederick, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania for several years and then moved
The Village Record, 12/24/1869
on to Spring City/East Coventry in Chester County.

Henry married Annie E Francis on 18 Dec 1869 in Chester County in her parents' home. She was born 13 Apr 1846 in Spring City. In 1870, the couple was living in East Vincent and Henry's brother James, then 17, was living with them.

On 26 Apr 1873, Henry must have known things weren't looking good. He set down his will. On 12 May 1873, he is referred to as "deceased" and the will was proved. My only observation about his will is he didn't seem to have a lot, but wanted it to go to his wife only if she stayed a widow! There were no children. She didn't stay a widow and remarried about 1879 to Nathan Stubblebine and they had one daughter. She died 21 Dec 1937 in South Coventry, Chaster County.

I, Henry B Smull, of the borough of Spring City in the county of Chester, and state of Pennsylvania,
being of sound mind, memory, and understanding but weak in body, do make and publish this my last will and testament, hereby revoking and making void all former wills by me at any time heretofore made. And first, I direct that my body be decently interred, according to the Christian church and that my funeral be conducted in a manner corresponding with my estate and and situation in life. As to such estate as if hath please God to entrust me with. I dispose of the same as follows. I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Annie E. all my real and personal property during the time she remains my widow, by her paying the interest of the money now invested in the property in judgment. In case my said wife should desire the property sold during her widowhood, my executor hereinafter mentioned, shall dispose of the same to the best advantage private or public sale using his own discretion, and pay all judgments and just debts, and the balance shall be invested in real estate secured on Bond and Mortgage, by me executor, the interest whereof shall be paid annually to my said wife, Annie E, so long as she remains my widow. Should she again marry, the said money so invested which shall include all my estate, except three hundred dollars, which shall be paid to her in her own right, shall be placed in the hands of a guardian or guardians, duly appointed by the courts or otherwise, for the use of my children. And, I hereby constitute and appoint my esteemed friend, Dr. William Brower, my sole executor of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof, I, Henry B Smull, the testator, have to this my will written one sheet of paper. Set my hand and seal this 26th day of April 1873.

Dr William Brower
Henry's "esteemed friend," Dr. William Brower, came from Dutch early settlers to East Coventry township. He spent time at both the Oakdale and Freeland Seminaries before going to Pennsylvania State Normal School. He taught school for six years before studying medicine at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, graduating in 1867. He practiced successfully in Spring City and was involved in the public affairs of the town.




No comments:

Post a Comment