Sunday, November 13, 2016

Clan William: The Gentholtz Clan: John R Gentholts & Clara Gentholtz Gaither

Capt Thomas Munson > Samuel Munson > Samuel James Munson > William Munson > Samuel II Munson > Freeman Munson >  Marietta Munson > John R Gentholts and Clara Gentholtz Gaither

The eight children of Jacob Gentholtz, German immigrant, and Marietta "Mary" Munson were a fairly interesting bunch. High achievers to criminals, they did anything from following their family's farming roots to being captains of industry.

Today, I'll be talking about John R. Gentholtz (later Gentholts) and his sister, Clara Gentholtz Gaither, just two of the clan.



John R. Gentholts was born about 1849 in Lordstown, Trumbull County, Ohio. He married Jennie Day Saxon in 1890 in Lawrence, Pennsylvania. Jennie had a child from her first marriage, Percy Saxon, born about 1878. John and Jennie then had a son, Arthur John Gentholts, who I will cover in another post. He came along in 1893 while they lived in Alliance, Mahoning County, Ohio. John worked for the railroad in several capacities, including baggage master and passenger conductor.

Clara Gentholtz was born 22 Mar 1861 in Champion, Trumbull County. She married James E Gaither, a native of Virginia in about 1876. They lived in the Youngstown area and had five children before James died 09 Jan 1891 in Youngstown. Clara remarried James Moffit, with whom she had no children. Clara died in 1940 in Warren, Trumbull County. Her second husband preceded her in death in 1916.

John's wife, Jennie Day's son Percy resided with them in both the 1900 and 1910 census, but I suspect there was a break there for the time he was married.. Somewhere in there, he married Clara's daughter Marietta Gaither, with whom he had a child, Mildred Helen Saxon born about 1904. Sadly, both Marietta and Percy died very young. She at 28 in 1909 and he at age 33 in 1911. His will is available which allowed me to make this connection and I can't help but think he died of illness since his will (28 Mar 1911) was made so close to the date of his death (17 May 1911).

His mother, despite being named guardian of Mildred, did not have Mildred living in her home in either the 1910 or 1920 Census. Mildred resided with her other grandmother, Clara Munson Gaither.

By the 1930 Census, Mildred was married to William R. Holmes of McKeesport, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and they had five children; one of whom died in infancy. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find her death, but her husband William died in 1985.

Text of the Percy Saxon will reads:
I, Percy D Saxon, of the City of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga, and state of Ohio, being about 33 years of age and of sound and disposing mind and memory, do make, publish and declare this my last will and testament, hereby revoking and annulling any and all will or wills by me made heretofore:
First: My will is that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid out of my estate as soon after my decease as shall be found convenient.
Second: I give and bequeath to my beloved brother, Arthur J Gentholts my watch and chain.
Thirdly: I give, devise, and bequeath all the rest of my property, both real and personal to my beloved daughter Mildred Helen Saxon to be hers absolutely.
Fourthly: I hereby appoint  KS Johns executor of this my last will and testament and herby request that no bond be required and that no appraisal be made of my estate.
Fifthly: I hereby appoint my beloved mother, Jennie K Gentholts, guardian of this person and estate of my beloved daughter Mildred Helen Saxon and hereby request that no bond be required and that my beloved mother as guardian have full power to do as she desires in th matter and affairs of the person and estate of my beloved daughter until she becomes of age.
In testimony whereof, I have set my hand to this my last will and testament, at Cleveland, Ohio, this 28th day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and eleven.
Percy D Saxon





John R Gentholts died 10 May 1931 in Cuyahoga County and his wife Jennie Day Saxon Gentholts died 24 Feb 1942. They both were residing in Shaker Heights with son Arthur and family at the end of their lives.
MRS JOHN R GENTHOLTS
Services for Mrs Jennie Day Gentholts, 88, widow of John R Gentholts, a passenger conductor for the New York Central System for 42 years, will be at 2 pm today at Charles Melbourne & Sons funeral home, 12737 Euclid Avenue, East Cleveland. She died Tuesday at Charity Hospital.
Born in Deerfield, Ohio, she came here as a child. Later she moved to Alliance, Ohio, and lived there for a few years before returning here 37 years ago. She lived at 17403 Fernway Road, Shaker Heights.
Surviving are a son, Arthur J., assistant counsel for the Republic Steel Corp; two sisters, Mrs Jessie McConnel and Mrs Florence Kingsbury of Alliance, and two grandchildren, Norris J. and Jane Ann Gentholts.
Date: Thursday, February 26, 1942   Paper: Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio)   Page: 6
===

No comments:

Post a Comment